Rhinestic's Knick Knacks

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Yarn Bombing, Crafty Partying and Some Computer Break Down in Between

Hola and a Konnichiwa~

Amidst the frantic search for a new laptop after the total abrupt death of my 6-year-old one, I had been busy with yarn bombing and some craft partying.

I had posted in an earlier post about some of the squares that I'd made. Here are all my squares laid out!


The yarn bombing session was held at our local Science Center and our target was the Apatosaurus dinosaur at the entrance. Objective was to join the squares to form a long enough scarf to wrap round the neck of the dinosaur.. Yes, even in this (warmer than usual) tropical heat. =D

Busy joining the colorful squares

A section of the scarf that we've joined

Keeping the dinosaur even warmer. hee.

Pranking on the T-rex isn't a very good idea...

Almost immediately after the yarn bombing project, I had to jump into prepping for the next event. 6th June was a special day for Etsy members around the world when we would all celebrate crafting in our very own local Etsy Craft Parties. The craft party here in Singapore was organized by the lovely sisters from SimplyForLove and they had kindly invited me to join. AND, I was excited enough to help. 

All the volunteers are also Etsy sellers, so each of us had to represent our shops and contribute something to the goodie bags.. After some contemplating, I thought I should make something that could be done in a big batch at once... Like screenprinting my calico fabric to make 50-worth of fabric-covered buttons and then hand-drawing on each and every one of them..... I know... That's not exactly batch-making..

Made 50 of these!

The backings for the buttons were handmade too.. They were all hand-punched and then free-handed with herringbone designs. I also designed and printed postcards to go with the buttons.

It took some time but I had fun packing these! (Photo by SimplyForLove)

We were expecting some reporters from various media as well, and each seller was requested to provide some sort of media kit. I already had an idea of the concept I wanted, so designing the booklets was quite a breeze. The only hard part was the cutting and assembling..

More about these booklets in another post!

We had 4 different craft stations at the craft party itself. 

Photo by SimplyForLove

There's the Mod Podge Photo on Wood station, Stamping with Rubber Stamps station, Embroidery on Photo station and Photo Transfer on Wood station. I was placed at the Mod Podge station to help out. I am not exactly an expert at Mod Podge, considering my experience extends to only prepping and sealing items before using them with resin.... But it was fun and I also learnt the do's and don'ts in the process of teaching.

Crafting in progress. (Love the dress!)

Managed to grab some yummies!

Lots of rubber stamps! All hand-carved by the talented Jo from Lovesprouts!

And finally all of us took a big group photo to commemorate this special day of crafting!


Job well done to SimplyForLove and the rest of us volunteers =)

Phew! This is a really long post! ... And ... I just realized that I missed the deadline for the Sewing Indie Month challenge.... And I've not even started! D: (I've chosen and bought the pattern though..) I guess I'll still proceed with the challenge (for myself) but with an indefinite deadline... LOL?

No comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...